This afternoon I have been thinking about my favourite things. Specifically I was trying to decide what my top five movies of all time are? Difficult question I know. I have seen a lot of films over the years and a large majority of them were utter shit. Not that I wouldn’t watch them again, I have very little in the way of good taste (You should see my wardrobe).
Anyway back to the topic at hand. What are my top five movies? Please note that these are not in any particular order of merit as I coldn’t make that decision if my life depended on it.
(1) The Italian Job (1969) – A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away Britain was very cool. The comedic nonsense in this is classic. Ignore the remake in 2003 that was just an excuse to advertise the new Mini. Best cliffhanger ever!
(2) 300 (2006) – Visually this is a real treat. A feast for the eyeballs. Good story, top action and a fantastic use of modern technology to bring something to the screen that had never been seen before. A graphic novel brought to life. In my head I have abs like that.
(3) Aliens (1986) – I like Alien a lot. It’s atmospheric, distressing, unsettling and creepy but I think Aliens is a better movie. I’m one of these people that constantly ponder what happens to a character after the film, of for that matter book, ends. Aliens delivers that answer and more to the point it does it well.
(4) Akira (1988) – With the exception of poorly dubbed cartoons that I used to watch during the summer holidays this was my first exposure to anime and manga. Not only does it still look fantastic over twenty years on but the story is pretty good too.
(5) The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) – Ok so I may have cheated slightly in that my final choice is three rather than one film but c’mon it has to be seen as a whole. The beauty of it all is that it can be summed up in one word. Epic
So there you have it. Five gems from the silver screen. You may not agree with them all but hey it’s my blog so I guess it’s my choice. In fairness however there is a good chance that the list could change depending on my mood, the weather and a whole host of other factors.