So finally after several months of waiting and the odd false start I received my replacement laptop. The original was stolen last November. The new laptop was supposed to be identical to the last but I have discovered that I have a copy of Windows Live Writer.
Look its me trying it out….
Ooh… I must have an integrated webcam on the laptop as well. Either that or someone is taking photos right in front of me and I cant see them. Concerning, I think so.
In other news – folks have highlighted their concern regarding me sitting around all day in my pants doing nothing (see re-enactment below)
So I wont be doing that any more. Mrs Cheesecake is relieved on many levels.
Anywho I don’t really have anything important to blog about at the moment so I will go and do something less boring instead.
A very quick list of stuff only I seem to remember. Whenever I bring them up people just stare blankly at me
- The New Shmoo – WTF! Is this some sort of crazy sperm with legs or what?
- Watoo Watoo – A bird from outer space…I kid you not.
- Ludwig – A crystal egg with robotic arms and legs. Good grief I need to go lay down for a bit.
A quick thanks to Mrs Cheesecake and her mad Photoshoppy skills in creating the blogs new banner. Thanks missus!
Also a big pat on the back for passing your final exams. Mrs Cheesecake fuck yeah! Well done sweetheart. Very proud
As ever I have been pondering the mysteries of the universe and as ever I got distracted by the evil telly box in the corner of the living room. On any given night there is some fine viewing options that warrant your attention dear reader. In no particular order I’ll give you a run down of some that I consider highlights. Now I could wax lyrical about the ‘boob tube’ (as our American cousins call it) till the cows come home but I am going to set myself some strict limits. I am only going have entries on the list that are currently being broadcast.
- Being Human – Best British series of the moment bar none (I’m looking at you Dr Who). A vampire, a ghost and a werewolf sharing a house. Funny, creepy, sad and moving all in one go. I was fortunate to see the pilot episode last year on BBC3 and I think that the series has continued in the same vein (excuse the pun) and is starting to develop into something which is constantly gripping to watch.
- Lost – Ok so it confusing. Every episode leaves us with more unanswered questions than answers but we all keep coming back for more don’t we? It’s always nice to see Jim Robinson continuing to get work.
- Hustle – Adrian Lester back where he belongs in series 5. On yer bike Marc Warren (your in everything else anyway!). I read this morning that there will be a series 6 coming soon. Good times.
- Demons – Not bad for a first series. I think it has a way to go yet but bring it back ITV and we’ll give it a chance. Put it this way. No worse than Primeval and that’s coming back for a third series. Oh I just spotted two Glenisters on one list… crazy!
- Battlestar Galactica – Consider the 70’s version of this show and then compare it against what we get now. Insightful political drama, action by the bucketload and more twists and turns than a man trapped in an automatic pretzel making machine….hmmm pretzels
- 24 – 7 years in and The Jack Bauer Power Hour still going strong. Lets be honest though Jack’s a bit of a fucking jinx isn’t he. Whenever he shows up things invariably explode. If I did that at work they wouldn’t let me in the office.
- A Town called Eureka – Fun show. bit less heavy going than some of the other genre TV on the list but that ain’t a bad thing.
Ok so I might have cheated a little. I know Hustle and Demons have just finished their respective series runs but they were both worth including and like I have said before My Blog My Rules.
Well do you agree or not? Answers on a postcard. Oh and for those that took part last time I have created a new poll. TV related so as to be in keeping with the theme of this twaddle.
So this afternoon I went to the movies and saw Punisher:Warzone. None too shabby. Now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting Citizen Kane and that’s not what I got. Instead I got some nice stylized hyper-violence and the ocassional flash of blacker than black humor.
In previous versions that have been brought to the screen the character of the Punisher has been a bit less than intimidating. The Punisher is meant to be intractable, monosyllabic and withdrawn. There should be glimmers of humanity but only very small hints that this man once had a life. In my opinion Dolph Lundgren and Thomas Jane were just a bit lacking. Ray Stevenson however is pretty damn near perfect. Mrs Cheesecake made a good point that Ray looks better as the Punisher than as pre-trauma Frank Castle. I’ve been a fan of Mr Stevenson’s work since the tv series Rome and it is nice to see him moving into movies.
The other actors in the film all looked as though they were having fun hamming it up outrageously.
Dominic West – Who’d a thunk it from Oliver Cromwell to Jigsaw in one easy jump.
Doug Hutchinson looks like he was having a blast as ‘Loony Bin Jim’.
It was nice to see that for a change the mighty Colin Salmon survived till end of the flick. Looking forward to Doomsday Colin!
The SFX were good. Lots of gore (Special mention has to be made to the inventive coming together of a free-runner and a rocket launcher).
In conlusion I would be happy to pay may hard earned to go see another movie with this particular Punisher in it. My brain didn’t have to work to strenously and when I left the theatre I felt the warm fuzzy glow of being entertained.
Good Work Fella!
Till next time
So the UK has been brought to a standstill by the inclement weather. Good times – I got out of work 2½ hrs early 🙂 Bad Times – Turns out there is a hole in my shoe and my sock got extremely wet 🙁
On a more positive note this evenings bill of fare will include the best sandwich known to man. That’s right Fish Finger!!!! Truly this sandwich is the work of some higher power.
Look at this thing of beauty! Oh and the ketchup is mandatorynot optional. If you want to mix things up a little I would suggest Birdseye Fish Fingers with a hint of lemon and Heinz Tomato Ketchup with Sweet Onion. This combination is the work of genius. I challenge anyone to come up with a better sandwich than this. I do not think it possible.
Forward to the weekend and some extreme brain candy is required. I reckon Punisher: Warzone might just fit that criteria. As long as there are explosions and stylized hyper violence I will be a happy bunny.
Until the next episode of mindless drivel
Yes my typing is abysmal and my spelling is crappy but I use the blog to vent my spleen so sometimes might get a bit carried away with myself. Anywho I have amended all the mistakes in my last post.
Also I want to try this Foxy Tunes dohicky that is now available. Lets see if she works! Hopefully!!
Now playing: Various – The A-Team – Extended Version
Ok I know I have been extremley lazy AGAIN regarding the upkeep of my blog. I promised myself that I would try to post on a regular basis but almost immediatley that I made this particular resolution real life got in the way and I haven’t even thought of posting for months. This evening however I find myself at a bit of a loose end so I reckon it is the perfect time to let my fingers do the talking. At least for a bit anyway 🙂
So how is 2009 treating you? In my case so far so good.
The items that were stolen when we were robbed last year are almost all replaced. Not that you would know that but I thought you night be curious.
We have actually started working on decorating the living room which made me feel good to be finally doing some work on the house.
I managed to wangle a Sony eReader for Xmas. What a magnificent little bit of kit it is. There are loads of wesites out there you can buy ebooks from and the reader comes with 100 classics you can load up straight away. The way things are going I won’t be buying many traditonal paper books anymore. If I had one gripe I would say that the internal memory is only 200MB which ain’t great. In saying that however there are slots for expansion cards.
Work continues to go well. I was suprised recently when I realised that I have been at my new job for a year already. Time truly does fly. It is good to do something you actually like.
I’ve seen a few films already this year – The Wrestler , Underworld:Rise of the Lycans . Both were pretty good. I have loads of new movies to look forward to later on this year. A few that spring to mind are Watchmen, Wolverine: Origins, Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and 9
There are some interesting new books to look forward to this year as well. Mark Chadbourn’s latest Destroyer of Worlds is due out…huzzah. Also we have the latest from Scott Lynch, Jim Butcher and Peter F Hamilton.
I’m tired now so I think I’ll call it a day.
Till the next time
I’ve been very lax of late regarding the old blog. One of my biggest problems is laziness and I hate not made any effort to update my random internet scribblings. I intend to remedy this now!
So a quick update on things. This week end we adopted a couple of kittens. Odin and Freya are brother and sister and are currently four months old. Odin is all black while Freya is black with white patches on her face and paws. I think they are settling in well, for example they are both asleep on the sofa as I type away. There was a slight panic yesterday when Freya attempted to make a break for outdoors via the chimney but Mrs Cheesecake caught her in the nick of time.
Also we are on holiday. The weather is great so it doesn’t matter that this year we are staying at home. It’s my birthday on Thursday so I am looking forward to that. 34 years old and still acting like a 12 year old, some things never change!
This afternoon I have been thinking about my favourite things. Specifically I was trying to decide what my top five movies of all time are? Difficult question I know. I have seen a lot of films over the years and a large majority of them were utter shit. Not that I wouldn’t watch them again, I have very little in the way of good taste (You should see my wardrobe).
Anyway back to the topic at hand. What are my top five movies? Please note that these are not in any particular order of merit as I coldn’t make that decision if my life depended on it.
(1) The Italian Job (1969) – A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away Britain was very cool. The comedic nonsense in this is classic. Ignore the remake in 2003 that was just an excuse to advertise the new Mini. Best cliffhanger ever!
(2) 300 (2006) – Visually this is a real treat. A feast for the eyeballs. Good story, top action and a fantastic use of modern technology to bring something to the screen that had never been seen before. A graphic novel brought to life. In my head I have abs like that.
(3) Aliens (1986) – I like Alien a lot. It’s atmospheric, distressing, unsettling and creepy but I think Aliens is a better movie. I’m one of these people that constantly ponder what happens to a character after the film, of for that matter book, ends. Aliens delivers that answer and more to the point it does it well.
(4) Akira (1988) – With the exception of poorly dubbed cartoons that I used to watch during the summer holidays this was my first exposure to anime and manga. Not only does it still look fantastic over twenty years on but the story is pretty good too.
(5) The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) – Ok so I may have cheated slightly in that my final choice is three rather than one film but c’mon it has to be seen as a whole. The beauty of it all is that it can be summed up in one word. Epic
So there you have it. Five gems from the silver screen. You may not agree with them all but hey it’s my blog so I guess it’s my choice. In fairness however there is a good chance that the list could change depending on my mood, the weather and a whole host of other factors.